11/8/08

Eyes to See


I adored my grandmother. Even more so now that she's gone. My memories of her are profound and the lessons she taught me, enduring. She not only taught me well, but she led by example. Even though it has been nine years since she has passed, I still take her advice and follow her lead. I follow her, for she followed Christ.

As for me, I really don't know what it means to do the big things; things of great importance, of fame or lofty merit. Ours is the way of a servant. I take care of the small, or base needs that have a part in sustaining a group, or human family. My grandmother referred to it as "helps"; mentioned as one of the gifts of the spirit in the New Testament, the overlooked one. Yes, it's the little things that often go unnoticed by others that are of great importance. Can you serve God by doing "the little things?" You bet you can and the field is wide open, pick any position, start anywhere. There is not much competition in doing the little things, so it's often a quiet work,(peaceful) and the good thing is that there is no struggling over who gets to do what, or deliberating on how we are going to do it, you just prayerfully proceed and "do with your strength what your hands find to do." (smile) Ahh, the secrets of the lowly are sweet.

So, to continue on in that vein, I'll say that every now and then we see something that needs to be done. My grandmother used to say, "Not everyone has eyes, not everyone can see. If you see something that needs to be done, do it." So simple, so plain, so elementary; no committee needed. With so few available to do the little things, maybe it has more to do with eyesight; being able to focus on the small, sometimes thankless tasks right before our eyes.

Well, recently I took notice of something, I saw something that required more than love and concern, I saw individuals who once were so strong, beginning to experience afflictions and in some cases, seemingly, great difficulty. It is almost like it happened overnight. It didn't of course, but one day I woke up, I saw with my eyes, and I realized that they were in need of care. I didn't vow, because I hesitate to make a vow, yet in my mind and heart I knew that I must be mindful and begin to care for them in an active way...like my grandmother would have. (She would have been on this, long before my eyes were open. Her eyesight was that of a hawk and her flight swifter than an eagle when rushing in to help.)

When people have been an integral part of a group; always there, leading the way, in church all the time, never missing a thing - and the tables are turned, they being the one in need, I think they are easily and unfortunately overlooked because they've always been so strong. They may even turn away help when someone asks if they need anything; they are used to being a helper and not the one helped. (My grandmother used to sternly warn us not to say, "if you need anything, give me a call." She didn't believe in that. She believed in visiting the sick, the shut-in, the poor, etc. and taking something for them, even if it were just a few apples (Her apples were usually surrounded by a crust, called pie) or a pot of soup, anything as a token of love and concern. Concerning bringing something she also used to say, "When visiting the sick, take roses, not thorns." In other words, mind your conversation, let your words be seasoned with grace; words that uplift.

So, this recent awakening caused me to think back at something she committed herself to, a big commitment which lasted for years. I'll start by saying that our family is one of those that always had Sunday dinners where it seemed as though everyone was invited, there was always room for one more and plenty of food. (Thank God, he has blessed us with plenty) I remember my grandparent's house especially being one that was full of "the saints". (The scripture uses that word in reference largely to the living fold of God, not the deceased.) Anyway, there was a family in our church who traveled quite a distance to get to church. Not everyone prepares a Sunday dinner and invites others in. Because of this, that particular family did not often get an invitation for dinner. My grandmother hated to see them going home without any type of refreshment. She vowed within herself that they would never go home without a meal or at least an invitation. I remember them being at my grandmother's table every Sunday for years. Even well into the time where it was becoming difficult for her to manage. She had an expression, "We have to help to roll them over the tide." What tide? The tide that takes them on into the next life. And she did. It seemed as though that was probably her last BIG JOB, and that in totality, went largely unnoticed by others. But not me. To me, that was greatness. With my eyes I saw it, from beginning to end, I beheld an example.

And now fifteen or so years later, this is what comes to mind when I look upon our congregation and I see the needs of the saints. My grandmother is gone, the strength of our elderly is now fleeting, and it is my turn to look after the aged. I think I'll prepare a little extra food today, enough to share. I think instead of going shopping or busying myself with the unimportant, I'll make time for a visit. Come with me.

"And of some, having compassion, making a difference." Jude 1:22

No comments: