6/30/08

A Time To Cry and a Time to Laugh


My sister-in-law reminded me to take my hormone pills today. (Funny, I had just decided that they didn't do a thing for me). As I stand in her kitchen, I'm trying to hold back the tears. (It doesn't seem to make a difference that I've cried most of the morning. Am I crazy, losing it, or are my emotions out of whack? No,it's not any of the above; my feelings were hurt.) She hugs me and tells me that everything will be alright. The most wonderful words ever spoken, whether true or not, and they have a calming effect. I love her for that. She has weathered her own storms and it's still not easy for them. She speaks from faith and experience and I know that she is right. I'm partly ashamed for bringing a sad face and tears to her when she probably needs a little comfort herself. Paul said, "If I make you sorry, who will make me glad?"


I am not a sad person. (I believe everyone should wear a smile and most of the time I do. I've been blessed by God and I've tried to glorify his name in every way I can, which includes a cheery disposition. He has made my life full and wonderful.) Yet, at times, we have things or people in our lives in varying places, who can make day to day living more difficult. Their outlook on life depends almost solely on their feelings and what's happening in their world, and all others are a speed bump on their road to happiness, or misery, as the case may be. (Would they see themselves in the previous sentence or so? Absolutely not.)

It's easy to be injured when co-existing with people who are happy one minute and angry the next. You never know which way the pendulum is going to swing. How can one escape it? One can't unless you just...walk away. That's not an option, or is it? Read on.

I may have discovered a radical therapy to turn about bad behaviors. This work in experimental therapy is purely selfish as I need more peace in my own life. So let's get busy and leave no stone unturned.

The other day I saw a program on training dogs. (I'm thinking of implementing it at home) A couple had two large dogs that made life unbearable and having friends and family over, almost impossible. A trainer came to the house to observe the problem and prescribe an antidote. She saw, for herself, the terrible manners that the dogs displayed. Visitors could hardly enter the home, being greeted by such beasts at the door, they had to push their way through to the living room while the dogs jockeyed along, shoving, barking, jumping, refusing to be controlled at all. This rowdy behavior continued even when the guests were seated. (Sound like anyone you know?)All corrective measures by the owners had failed.

(Everyone listen now, for if this works on people like it does on dogs, it could be the breakthrough that every tired and exhausted mother on the face of the earth had hoped for but thought impossible without the use of "the old fashioned belt" or "switch" - outlawed by the way.) Every time the dogs act badly, the owners were advised to stand up and walk out of the room. They enact this strategy over and over to no avail. Just at the point when they were ready to give up, IT WORKED, it actually worked! A breakthrough was made and the owners were utterly amazed to see a turn-around in the dogs behavior. (Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks.)

Now let the experiment begin. With much prayer and some dog training techniques, I move forward; willing to try anything to make life more pleasurable for all of us.

Let me see, I do want to spend some time with the family...I can't spend all of my time in the next room, waiting to re-enter. I'll have to give it some more thought...humm.

So as you can see, yesterday I cried, today I'm up; laughing, if you will, as I try to work through the little problems that I (we) must wade through from time to time or all the time depending on relationships, whatever or wherever they may be. (Ergonomics - the engineering of people. Is there a training manual? I'm sure there must be and here I am trying to glean tips from the animal kingdom. We'll graduate to human behavior when we get there.) Forgive me, I'm just venting. It's been a trying week. I love my family but sometimes I get tired. (That's when that cheery disposition come in handy!)

Writing is cathartic. I feel better and I am resolved to change...again.

Ecclesiastes 3:4 "A time to weep and a time to laugh..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Конечно, действительно. Это было и со мной. Давайте обсудим сей вопрос. [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-stroitelstve-zabora/117-tekhnologiya-stroitelstva-zaborov.html]строительный портал ярославль[/url]