7/31/08

Pass The Youth Berries Please


Tonight I took my plastic containers and headed out to the side of the house where, about 12 years ago, we planted some blueberry bushes. (Currently, we only have two.) Originally we had four. I chose them so carefully from a gardening catalogue and impatiently waited for them to come. When they arrived they were the size of pencils, only in length mind you, and not as big around. They were so frail, I was disappointed. I wondered how many years it would take to get our first berry.

So we thoughtfully chose a spot to plant them and were consigned to watch and wait. What I realized the first year is that I was the only one that could actually see them in the yard, just inches above the grass. (How thoughtless) Our son, who was a teenager at the time, with perfect vision I might add, couldn’t see them. It turns out when the mower is clipping along at 60 mph, a stick that small isn’t visible to the naked eye. I immediately lost two of the plants. We invested in a little bit of chicken wire and fenced the remaining two; saving them from a similar fate.

We had planted them close to the house, which was a great idea (in hind sight) because they are easily accessible and being sort of self- contained, their size was never a problem. We have 4 acres and I know from experience that the old adage is true; out of sight out of mind. Besides, blueberry bushes are easy to care for. I would venture to say that you could plant one just about anywhere, as long as it has an adequate amount of sun. I’ve never had a problem with pests or disease and the fruit, they call “youth berries.” (Ah-hem…pass the berries, please) I always encourage people to plant them. Kids and adults alike, enjoy the hand to mouth experience of picking and eating. It’s so much fun! The ultimate low maintenance fruiting bush.

Recently, I haven’t been picking as much as I should. I’m well aware that the birds get their fill every day. If you look out the window you can see the branches jingling. Most people put some type of netting over their bushes to prevent the birds from doing so, but I don’t. (They can literally rob you blind.) As for me, I get plenty, they get plenty, and everyone is happy.

This evening I had two containers that were quickly filled and I had to go back to the house to get two more. Another little known fact is that dogs love blueberries too. My bushes were so heavy with fruit this year that all the branches have arced outward, bowed down, and the ends are just about touching the ground all the way around. My dogs have become pretty slick at getting their own berries. As I stand there picking, they go under the bush, moving the branches about, and the ripest, juiciest ones fall to the ground. You can hear the dogs under the bush licking their chops and filling their bellies. Every now and then I say sternly, “Get out of there. Go on, git!” It means nothing. They pretend to back off a little and the scene repeats itself just moments later. I turn to see one of the dogs helping themselves to the already harvested berries in my bucket. “Achh…That’s it! Get out of there and go lay down.” They know that this time I mean business and finally settle down. They lay waiting for me to finish as the fun is over and they’re ready to head for the house.

I have two Weimaraners, Maggie and Kia. (My all-time favorite breed of dog; besides mut.) Maggie, we got as a puppy and had her for a few years before Kia came along. Shortly after the flooding in New Orleans there was quite a lot of talk on the news about animals that were in need of homes. I went on the internet just to see what I could find concerning the subject. I had heard about a website called petfinder.com. While nosing around, I happened upon a young Weimaraner, named Kia, being held at a rescue sanctuary in Ohio, unrelated to the disaster in Louisiana. (I don’t want anyone to think that she is their long lost friend and try and step forward to claim her now. She and I would have to go on the run, for I couldn’t possibly give her up. I’m hers now. She’s claimed me. No one can take away “My Little Key.”) That’s a long story that I would love to tell some day, maybe in a future blog. (The perils and joys of pet adoption) However, we must get back to the topic at hand; blueberry picking.

Kia has been with us for about two years and last year was her first exposure to berry picking. I guess she followed Maggie’s lead and discovered the joy of blueberries and even the technique(s) for acquiring them. Even though they are just dogs, they know that I do not want them to eat the berries, at least not too many and I certainly don’t want them lapping at the clusters of fruit. (Especially not Kia with that little potty mouth) Maggie lumbers around the bush and quietly sneak a few berries here and there but Kia, I suppose because she lived the first year of her life as a starved animal, quickly adopted another method that I would say, probably wasn’t more effective but it sure was comical. She would run at us, the bush and I, and grab a few berries right off of the tree and tear out of there making a wide loop in preparation for the next “drive by looting”. Sort of like speed running but with a definite goal. It was funny to watch. (Dogs are so crazy.)

This year she is getting all the berries she can just by being bold and relentless. I still shoo them away and Maggie eventually gives up and lays right behind me. (I’m not completely heartless, I toss a few to her every now and then and she catches them in mid air and watches me steadfastly for more.) Not Kia, she’s working the bush. I shoo her away, she moves to the other side of the bush. I thought to myself, this dog was a starved and abused animal when we got her. Look how far she’s come. She’s eating berries under her vine and fig tree, so to speak. And I’m happy for that.

I’m happy that one living thing that was suffering, is suffering no more. Even if it’s just a little dog with a heart as big as Texas and gratitude immeasurable. I’ve never seen gratitude the likes of which in an animal before, and we’ve had lots of different types of animals through the years and always a dog or two. She remembers where she came from. We see proof of that all the time. (She’s sniffing the blueberry containers as we speak. Silly!)

I decided to include a recipe in this blog. I always clip every blueberry recipe I find. This one is especially good. It’s a cross between “a crisp” and a cobbler. A lot of people don’t make pies etc. from blueberries because, I suppose, they aren’t flavorful enough. No need to worry with this recipe. (I really think you could use just about any fruit.) It’s absolutely wonderful served hot out of the oven with milk poured over it. We used ½ and ½ instead of milk. Oh, it was so delicious! I made it again the next day and I’m thinking of make some right now but I’m too tired.

Tomorrow’s another day and there will be more berries for the picking. Last one down to the bushes is a rotten egg! Kia’s always first. She appreciates the little things.

Blueberry Nectarine Buckle
2 cups biscuit mix
1 cup sugar, divided
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 t. finely shredded lemon peel
1 nectarine, pitted and chopped
1-1/4 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of a 1-1/2 to 2 quart baking dish. In medium bowl, combine biscuit mix, 1/2 cup sugar, the egg, milk, and lemon peel. Stir until moistened.
Spoon batter into pan. Top with fruit. Mix flour and remaining sugar in a bowl. Using a fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly; sprinkle over fruit. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Makes 9 servings.
*Serve warm with cream. Yum!

No comments: