8/9/08

Beading and T-Shirt Design


I read "T's" blog today about her ability to not only collect information but to retain it and pass it along. She literally knows everything. I told her yesterday that I think she's a genius and that her head should be bigger to contain a brain that size. You don't have to spend much time with her to realize that she is very intelligent. (Everyone says so. It's her claim to fame) So, if you've read through the previous posts you might know that I collect information too. My information, however, is not always available because, well, I do not have "total recall ability" but I do have "partial information retention". (I just made those up. It's a coping mechanism) It's okay though, I don't need to remember everything. I have all the information around here somewhere...I just have to look for it.


Today I went to the Jo-Ann Fabrics and picked up the materials for two different projects. (I love that store, they have everything.) Concerning the price of beads, and all things related, I have to mention that I was in a bead shop the previous day and even though their selection was great, buying beads individually can be quite expensive. I bought $44 worth of beads there and came out with two 2x2 inch bags of beads. I was mad at myself for paying that much. I wouldn't mind it if they were all special beads but they weren't. A lot were just ordinary, not so fancy beads. I think I'll save that type of store if I'm looking for something really special. (This is a new experience for me. I've read about beading and enjoyed others' work, but have never tried it myself.) I have a sister-in-law who makes her living judging horse shows. She travels quite a bit and so a few years ago she began beading for something to do in her hotel room. Well, she became quite good at it. Apparantly, she has quite the eye for this kind of thing and has begun to make some decent money on the side. Some people have begun to collect her pieces. She uses real stones and precious metals. And last year, I believe she sold about $40,000 at the shows and around town. Her work is outstanding, not your usual Plain Jane stuff.

Anyway, I'm not out to make any money, I just want to have a little fun myself. What I had in mind was to make a few bracelets to go with some of my outfits; mostly for everyday wear. What triggered the desire, enough to make me want to begin, is the bracelet that my boss had on the other day; the type of bracelet I think I would wear often. The stones were the size of pearls but black and hanging down was a small gold peace sign encrusted with diamonds. I know hers cost a fortune and I'm not willing to spend that much, so...I thought that I would venture out and see if I could create my own little version of it. You know, like a knock-off. I know lots of people get their inspiration for haircuts, design, etc. by looking through magazines and seeing what others have done and try to imitate it. Well, here I go...
I'll let you know if I become "a beader" or if this is called "making a few bracelets" and then putting the bead box up on the craft shelf to retire there. It doesn't matter. It's about enjoying the moment, trying new things.

Well, then I went to Jo-Ann's today and bought lots of strands of beads, all at 30% off. It was wonderful. They have quite a large variety; even some turquoise, freshwater pearls, crystal, etc. So, now I'm ready to begin. Without any instruction, (the difference between "Jot" and "Tittle" is that I, "J", will forge ahead without having read anything and try to figure it out as I go, and "T" would do a quick "scan", you know, like a computer; process the information and proceed knowing exactly what she's doing.) I began working on my first bracelet last night. I learned a lot, like all the things I shouldn't do. Ugh! (Maybe it would be better to read directions first.) I need some good tips on beading; making bracelets especially. I've Googled beading but didn't really come up with anything of great value as far as an instructional video. If anyone knows of a website or beading blog, please share. I just want to turn my beads into bracelets and wear them NOW. What's the easiest way to get started? (This is the gathering information, my way...)

The next project is something I've been thinking about for a long time; designing t-shirts. I have some good ideas that I want to try and a few books for additional inspiration on possibly modifying the shape of the shirt as well. I realize there are many ways I could go with this and the first thing I want to try is fabric markers. If the shirts come out as good as I had hoped, we will add them to the blog and make them available be way of Zazzle.com. Ooooo...I can't wait to get started!

If you know anything about beading or t-shirt design, I'd love to hear it.
Happy crafting!

No comments: