8/22/08

Happy Birthday


Today is J's birthday. If you read a previous post, you would know that J thinks that hand written letters are rare in today's correspondence. She isn't far off and it isn't too hard to see why. You can send e-cards to your friends and loved ones for their special events or occasions, no trip to the card store required. E-mail and text messages have replaced most of our everyday correspondence and communication. I had contemplated sending J a handwritten letter for her birthday, but it didn't happen quite like I anticipated. I did send a real paper card, with a few handwritten thoughts in it. But it occurred to me that she probably wouldn't even recognize my handwriting. And since I am a self-admitted techno geek, I thought that a birthday blog post might work.

If you've read any of our posts here, and I hope you have, you probably picked up on a few things. J and I don't live in the same state. We never have. There are a handful of years between us in age and, of course, she's married and has a family and I am perpetually single (a little single joke, sorry). We have more than a few common interests and are often like minded in many things, which sometimes even surprises us. We didn't know each other as children; I didn't even know her before she was married. And yet through some mysterious and wonderful way, we are friends.

We don't have funny little stories and anecdotes from when we were teenagers together (however, she will gladly tell you about the Pepperoni Debacle of 2007 if you ask her to), but we share a commonality. We do attend the same church, which of course gives us that common denominator necessary to build a friendship on. But it wasn't until a little more than 2 years ago did we even have much contact. I knew her family, she knew mine, but that was the extent of it. The how and the why aren’t really important, but the relationship is.

Enough of the back story, my real intent here today is to paint a picture of my friend. I tell her often that I think she's wonderful. Probably as often as she tells me I'm a genius. The only difference is that she REALLY IS wonderful and I am certainly no genius. She has the ability to make people feel welcome. Not an easy task. I marvel quietly when I am with her. She is the woman spoken of in Proverbs 31. She would deny it. However, I can attest to its veracity. Whenever I've visited her I have always felt comfortable and at home, no matter if my stay was a quick overnight or a week long. She has a depth of understanding and knowledge that I admire and wish for. She has a great love for the word of God and the study of it. And I have never met anyone that could make even the most tedious or difficult passages sound exciting the way she can. Last year we were at a Ladies' Conference where she taught a workshop on scripture study. I knew what her part of the workshop was going to be, we had discussed it often before hand. I left that workshop, excited and eager to study. That's the mark of an excellent teacher, someone that can take a subject and present it in a way that you can't help but feel their love for it. It doesn't get much better than that.

She plays a mean game of Scrabble and routinely beats me whenever we play together. I enjoy spending time with her when we have the opportunity. She is genuinely kind. It's just part of her make up. She tends to think the best of people. That's refreshing in a world of pessimism. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying she's a paragon of virtue, she just doesn't assume the worst unless there's a good reason. Even then she's hard pressed to do it. I’m often impressed by her example.

When we do have the chance to spend some time together, I tease her that she is in constant motion. She really never stops. When I say this she thinks I’m crazy. I say it’s just an observation, which I follow up with a suggestion to relax. She laughs and keeps going. I understand her reasoning, but I will always suggest that she takes time out for herself. That’s just me looking out for my friend.

She's had her fair share of hardship and trial, as we all have, but it has not jaded her. She has a grace under pressure that's admirable. I'm sure, if given the opportunity, she'd argue these points, but it won't make them any less true. And while none of us are perfect, she is a really wonderful friend that I love dearly and I find myself very fortunate to be counted in her circle.

So, Happy Birthday J, and on this day may you realize your great worth and value and please, please relax!!

No comments: