9/26/08

Fatty McButterpants


Well, it's time to slim down again. I don't know why I lose weight only to turn around and gain it back. Is it considered yo-yo dieting when it's only ten pounds or so? I guess the qualifying piece of evidence; up and down, up and down. I've answered my own question.

My dog Maggie has a good extra ten pounds on her as well. When she is standing, it's not as noticeable, but when she lays down, well, she is sort of sow like. (We all look better when we're standing, right?)

The quest begins to deflate the mid-section. This morning I had a banana and coffee with sugar-free creamer. (I know the creamer is not on any suggested diet menu but I'm not giving that up - it's part of a morning routine that I thoroughly enjoy and look forward to every day.) It's 8:17 a.m. and I just had a piece of Easter Bread, plain, no butter. (Yes, I know, it's not even mid-morning, but a friend made it and gave it to me. How nice! I couldn't refuse, right? I graciously accepted the bread Wednesday evening and now it's Friday morning and I've been chipping away at it. That has to go. It's so wonderfully soft and yummy, yes, that has to go.

I like the thought of exercise, I think about it all the time. I cut out information about it; exercise routines for the arms, the abs, the butt, the legs, you name it. But honestly, I don't like to exercise. I guess most people don't, but not exercising for them, is not an option, they just do it. Isn't that Nike's slogan, JUST DO IT!

So we did it! I put Maggie on a leash and we went for a walk. (We left Kia behind because she's skinny and does not do well on a leash. My husband said that when Maggie and I walked out the door, Kia watched us until we were out of sight. He said she made a sound that could only be considered a mournful cry. How sad, but since she's like having a kangaroo on a leash, we had to leave her behind. My husband, Tim, will work with her so she can be included on the walks someday.

Maggie was as proud and happy as can be to be out on a walk with her mom. She was alert, moved right along, smiling all the way. I suppose the total distance was one mile. For me, a good start. I suppose I should submit "before and after" pictures of she and I. Should I? That would be brave.

If I walk everyday and watch what I eat, no one would be abe to call us a Fatty McButterpants, now will they?

Even though I'm on a diet, I'm including my friends recipe for Easter Bread.
(Don't ask for clarifications - it's one of those old time recipes with scanty directions)


Mom's Easter Bread


2 T. sugar for each egg used
2 T. melted shortening for each egg used
lemon rind from 3 lemons
1 cake yeast melted in about 1/2 C. Milk
5 lbs. flour
1-1/2 dozen eggs

Knead 2 times and let rise overnight. Roll to desired shape and let rise. Brush egg yolk on top. Bake at 350 degrees. Makes 7 rolls.

No comments: