9/12/08

Seattle, Washington Here I Come!


I found a great price on airfare through Orbit.com. Wednesday through Wednesday, from Pittsburgh to Seattle and back, for only $250.00. A great price, and so the course was set.

I do not like to leave home for any length of time. I have to leave the dogs and they get so depressed (I hate to disappoint them). My 19 year old still lives at home. He goes to school in the morning and works in the afternoon and into the early evening. Although he is in and out of the house throughout the day, I'm not certain what he'll do for sure. Will he let the dogs out on a consistent basis? Will he invite friends over? (He's not supposed to.) I just have to go away and not worry about any of that stuff. If I did, I'd never go anywhere. Besides, my dad is willing to check on the dogs several times a day and says that he will take care of things, not to worry.(I'm too young to start living like a recluse and so I resign myself to go and not worry) Besides, I can't wait to see Washington and discover what that part of the U.S. looks like. It seems as though it's a world away.

I left home at 4 a.m. to make my 6 a.m. flight. Needless to say, I made it to my gate in plenty of time; no hassles or delay of any kind. At the gate there were lots of people there early, just as I was, chatting, eating breakfast, reading, using their computers/blackberries, etc. I happen to sit back to back with "the talker" of the crowd. My first impression of him is that he would be delightful spouse; happy, just chattering and observing all things in a sort of funny way. From what I could gather, he and his wife, who was there with him, rescues animals and their house is a mess. He left a guy in charge of the animals. This guy, his caretaker, told him that his father-in-law hates him. To this, he tells the crowd, I'd hate him too. (everyone laughs) He goes on to tell what a loser he is, yet feels comfortable leaving everything he owns in his care. Hum? As his chatter continues on for a solid 30 minutes now I begin to reconsider the spouse thing; he never shuts up. (And they say women are bad) He did say something funny though; "Did you know that frogs are dying?" (I perked up for that. Oh no!) Yep, he says, they've been around since the dinosaurs...and they're dying. They figure, we're next, and he bursts into laughter." (I smiled. Was that a joke?)

Anyway, we eventually board a Boeing 767 and the flight was uneventful (thank God). I sat next to a young girl who slept the whole way. She didn't even wake up for the snack and beverage service. I thought about waking her but didn't want to impose. (She was quite plump and I couldn't imagine her wanting to miss out on the cookie) I even thought about getting an extra snack for her but I know myself pretty well, I could very well end up eating mine and hers if she sleeps too long. (Much to my surprise, Delta still serves peanuts and peanut butter crackers during the flight. I was shocked with all the peanut allergies these days) I pass on the extra snack and role of caretaker. Instead, I work on Sudoku puzzles and watch a bit of TV. Halfway through the movie it begins to skip and slur making it impossible to see what's going on. I call for the flight attendant and she refunds my money which is $2.00 for the headset. (Beverages are still free, except alcohol, of course. A snack is still offered, but get a load of this, menus are now available if you would like something more substantial than kibble. If you order from "the big black book", which looks oddly out of place, you pay just as you would at a restaurant. I saw lots of people eating their breakfast before they boarded, me included.) As soon as the flight attendant walks away, the movie resumes and is fine but I seemed to have missed the most important part. Now it didn't seem to make any sense at all.

I arrive in Seattle without a hitch. Even the plane change in Atlanta was nothing. I had 45 minutes to change planes there. Delta was on time and when I arrived at the other gate, they were boarding and we were off again in no time. (Get out there, fearful travelers! It's fine. You can do it!)

Washington is a beautiful state (What little of it I saw). I used to watch a show on television called Northern Exposure. That's what it reminds me of. There's a big sky, lots of timber (pine trees), mountains and water. It's really very lovely.

I visited my daughter, her husband and two grand-doggies. I often went to bed early and worked on the computer (checking the blog, e-bay, e-mail, craigslist, and playing games. Before you know it I'd be tired and ready to sleep. Sounds exciting, huh? To me it was a great luxury to do nothing but relax and enjoy my daughter. It took me a few days to get adjusted to the time change, they are three hours behind us. We woke up and enjoyed the morning with coffee, sitting on porch, or watching another episode of "How Clean Is Your House?" The houses to which Kim and Trudy visit are so incredibly filthy and unkept, that it is impossible to look away as they scrape up a bit of crud with a fingernail for inspection or smell the kitchen sponge. (It's on the BBC. No one lives like that in America, do they?)We went out to eat a few times, enjoying the local fish, we shopped, and went to garage sales and flea markets. What did I find? Well, I love old rolling pins. Now I have a collection. What do they say? One is a possession, two is a collection and three is an obsession. How fun! I found a great old rolling pin that's large and heavy. It looks like oak. The only reason I would buy something like that and be willing to transport it back home is that it was unusual. I don't know how to describe how it's put together except to say that instead of nails or screws or any type of metal mechanism to hold it together, it has small wooden wedges on the end of each handle. Very unique and a real gem! As I was shelling out the money for that one, a deal for $10.00, another vendor is calling to me saying that he has a great rolling pin too. He says his is prettier and has green handles. I explain that I will be flying home in a few days and doubt that I will have room in my suitcase to take much back. With that he offers me his rolling pin for $2.00. I couldn't resist. She's probably quite common and not very old, maybe from the fifties, but I snatch her up and she's mine.

If you've followed my blogs, I love old books as well, particularly old religious books. I found one called "Wickedness in Modern Society." I fall in love with it at a glance and hope that what's inside rivals the title. I glance through it and know it will provide for some interesting reading. (The wickedness the author speaks of is not the atrocities and lewdness that have unfortunately have become quite common in our day and time, but it's more about drinking, lying, profanity and such. You know, the things that most people see nothing wrong with today.) This book; this treasure, is not for me, (I have to keep saying that). "It's not for me, it's not for me...." T's birthday was in July and I had taken her out to lunch but never hit on anything that seemed fitting as a gift for my good friend. I felt she would love this old book and that too went into the bag. I imagine for a moment her teaching a lesson on modesty, for example, and saying, "And now I will read a quote from Wickedness in Modern Society", 1891.)Ah, I amuse myself.

Next we came upon a guy who had a whole bunch of brand new hand tied flies, for fly fishing, of course. I bought 6 for my son. In hind sight I wish I would have offered him $20.00 for the whole lot, I bet he would have taken it. The last thing I bought was a hoot. It was an old ceramic bank that looked like a pile of cigarette butts and a skeleton trying to crawl out from underneath them. Fabulous! (I think my 25 year old smokes.) I call my daughter over and ask whether I should buy it for him. We laugh and she says it will probably just make him mad. We decide it's far too neat to give to him, he may not appreciate it. I decide to put it in his room and when he comes home for a visit, he can look at it there.

Ahhh...the simple joys of life. My visit there was like one big visit to the spa or a great massage. I left there feeling very happy. My daughter and her husband are quite content with each other and their new surroundings. They have two crazy dogs that are a constant source of laughter and fun. Mothers all across the world know that when their kids are happy, then they are happy.

On a serious note before I left there I encouraged my daughter, Eva, to study the scripture and gave her some tips on ways to do that. One way to study, I told her, was to pick a topic and then really study it. She and Dan could do it together. Pick a topic, give yourselves a week to find what you can on the subject, learn as much as you can so that you could teach a lesson on it and then come together and present what you've amassed. It's fun and it's interesting. It's also part of our service to God. Matt.11:29 "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me..."

She was quiet but I felt good, as though my advise was received well. Much to my delight she called me the other day to tell me that she chose a study topic and it was that of pearls. She was surprised at all the mention of precious gems in the scripture. There were some negative mention of pearls, and of course, common scriptures such as don't cast your pearls before swine and the pearl of great price. She said the funniest thing happened that day, Aunt Pearl called. That would be her great grand-mother's youngest sister, the last remaining sibling. I think she's 85 now. The amazing thing is that Aunt Pearl has never called Eva. Eva was surprised at the co-incidence and after sharing this little blessing with Pearl, I think they both felt warm inside; as though it was meant for them to talk that day and a confirmation of her efforts. (What a nice way for God to say, Keep up the good work, my child. Study my word!)

What a blessing for me as her mother to know that she is applying herself to the good things in life. Not the things beneath, but the things that are above. Thank you God! I thank you sincerely, with all my heart.

Next Sunday she is going to study the word "goat". I'll be sure not to call then.

No comments: