9/3/08

First day of school...


As did most children, my soon-to-be 4 year old niece started preschool yesterday. Now this is not necessarily an unusual event, many, many children her age start preschool, and she is definitely ready. She is the youngest of my sister’s 5 children. Yes, 5 children, a girl, 2 boys and then 2 girls. I tried to get her to stop after the first two, my reason being she had one of each it wasn’t like she could have a different kind. Of course, now, there isn’t one you would wish she didn’t have; they are all unique and wonderful in their own way.

When my oldest niece started school 13 years ago, I began a tradition which still stands today. Every year just before school begins I take the kids that are in school to the shoe store and buy them new sneakers of their choice. The deal was they’d get a pair of shoes from me until they graduated high school; my oldest niece just graduated and has since “aged-out.”

Honestly, I don’t think too much about this process. I know the kids look forward to it with anticipation. They know that this one time price is not an object, and they roam the aisles of the shoe store looking for their choice. I should say they have never taken advantage of me and don’t go looking for $100 shoes, which is why I don’t mind doing this little treat for them. I just show up with my check book. Getting back to my original thought, which is my almost 4 year old niece, Faithie. This should have been her year too. As my oldest niece aged-out she would be coming in to replace her. The difference here is that my niece Faithie has had Spina Bifida since her birth.

So this year was the year I actually thought about the shoe buying process when I realized that Faithie really wouldn’t be joining the other kids in this yearly rite of passage. Because of this disease we’ve grown to accept, she sits in a wheel chair and due to different muscle issues doesn’t wear shoes. I am not normally a very emotional person, but I found myself crying like a baby at this realization.

Now before you think that this post is going to be full of tears and regret, this is not my intention. Faithie knows no other way. She is unconcerned for the most part about shoes or things she is missing. When she got her first wheelchair we were more worried about it than she was. She took to it immediately and was zooming around the house looking at and reaching things she never could from her constant floor crawling. There was some concern that she would be brain damaged when she was born, happily that is not the case. She is a bright, articulate, happy, almost 4 year old that has an amazing retention of animal names. I always joke with my sister that she’s the smartest kid she’s got, of course I never say that around the other kids, what kind of an aunt do you think I am?!? :)

Yesterday was her first day of school and as her slightly over protective aunt I was concerned about how she would do. I prayed that it would be a good, positive experience for her. When I talked to my sister later in the day she assured me that she loved it. My sister and brother-in-law met her at school that morning, Faithie rode the bus, they stayed around a bit making sure she was ok with the whole first day thing. After about 10 minutes my sister told her “Ok, we’re going to go home now and we’ll see you after school, ok?” Faithie said, “You’re leaving?” My sister said, “Yes, we’ll see you at home.” Faithie replied, “Ok, you go have some fun.” She turned back to the class and that was it. My sister’s boys were never this easy. They always cried when she left.

She came home on the bus and had a wonderful first day. She knows all the names of her teachers, the bus driver, and the kids she rides the bus with. She was thrilled with her new back pack and her Hello Kitty lunch box. She was raring to go this morning.

I think about her outlook on life and wonder what it will be. Will she feel regret at not being able to do things or will she never look back and simply do whatever she sets her mind to. I like to think it will be the latter. Sometimes I forget to look at each day the way she does, a new adventure. As adults we get bogged down with trials and problems that exhaust us. That really isn't how I want to go through this life, but sometimes it's difficult to shake it off. I hope Faithie's attitude never, ever changes and I hope I can take a page from her book and remember to have some fun.

No comments: