9/25/08

Teaching the Girls How To Crochet


Did I mention that I've recently signed up to volunteer some time at a girls home? The only reason I mention this is because one of the girls would like me to teach them how to crochet. (Oh boy)

(I learned to crochet when I was in the eighth grade, a friend of mine showed me how.) I know a few simple stitches. I told the girls to give me a little time to refresh my memory and I would teach them. Well, I went home that evening and immediately set the course to do so. I found some simple instructions; one on how to make a scarf and one for making a dishcloth. I decided that we would make the scarf. (It's September and by the time they finish their scarves, they will be able to wear them. It' already getting chilly here.)

At Jo-Ann Fabrics they had a lovely assortment of yarns. Once there, I immediately had lots of questions concerning how much yarn do I need to make a scarf. The directions stated that I would need one skein. (Is skein a measurement?) There were many different size balls of yarn. I tried to look at the yardage but it quickly became confusing. I tried to poll the other two women who were looking at yarn but they were no more qualified to answer than I was. Finally, I decided on a lovely wool blend yarn that was sort of chunky and contemporary looking, and in the most beautiful array of colors; jewel tones. I bought one in each color, so that the girls could chose a color that excited them and they would all have something different in the end.

Well, I'm the kind of person that gets excited easily and when I'm interested in something, I have to do that thing right then and there. So that evening I begin to make the prototype. I clearly had forgotten how to do it. I started with the chain stitch, my first attempt I made 23 chains, what seemed good to me, and then feverishly began stitching away. I noticed after I had produced a foot of scarf that it was decreasing in width. Apparently, at the beginning of each row I was not starting on the first stitch but rather the second. I also realized that this width was entirely to wide and bulky. Back to the instructions - which suggests 13 chains to start. I tore everything out, corrected my crocheting errors and ended with a lovely scarf but the length was scarcely short of what it should have been. (One skein had produced the equivalent of two tube socks sewn end to end, and when around me neck each end fell just below my collar bone. I believe the article said that each end should reach the belt line. Now I have this lovely piece, that only took me a couple of hours to make but now I need to add on to it. (This is where I could use the advice of a pro) I'm going to buy more yarn and try to add on to what I have. I don't want it to look like a patch work mishap, even though it's a beginner project, I want the finished product to look like a piece of art; something that I will be proud to wear.

For the girls I've decided to take their yarn back and get them something not so bulky, softer, not wool, and more yardage, once again in a gorgeous array of colors.

When I get in moods like this, I just want to stay home and create. In the meantime, I will try to finish my scarf so I have something to show them. That means I must do it today!

I wish I could show the girls a few variations of fringe to add to their finished product to give it a little extra pizazz. Anyone out there have simple/beginner ideas on how to do that? If so, you'll make some girls very happy and put a feather in the cap of their teacher.

No comments: