10/9/08

My Favorite Icing


In my last post I mentioned a fabulous cake that I make all the time, so I thought I had better post the recipe.

I use Duncan Hines cake mixes, they are wonderful! Especially with the icing
recipe(s) that follow.

Bakers Icing
1 C. Milk
5 Tbs. flour
Dash salt
Heat and stir until thickened.
(Make sure you stir constantly to keep the mixture from clumping. Also make sure
it thickens adequately. After you get it to the right thickness - remove from pot with spatula and put it in a bowl where it can cool)

Cream well:
3/4 C. Crisco
1/4 C. butter or margerine
1 t. vanilla
1 C. sugar

After top mixture cools, blend all. I usually put it in my Kitchen-aid mixer and beat for 5 minutes. Now you are ready to ice the cake. *This cake is fantastic with coconut on top.

Another variation of my favorite is yellow or white cake with chocolate Bakers Icing, which we call Pudding Icing:

Pudding Icing
small Instant Chocolate Pudding
1 C. Sugar
1 C. Lukewarm milk (More like room temperature - as to not melt the Crisco)
1 C. Crisco

Beat 5 minutes.
*This cake is great with finely chopped walnuts on top.

Enjoy!



No comments: